LYSOVIN is used as both preventative and cure in the winemaking industry, protecting wine from spoilage caused by lactic acid bacteria contamination. A flexible, natural additive, LYSOVIN has been trusted by winemakers for over 10 years to reliably enhance and protect the quality and consistency of their wine, whilst reducing their dependence on sulphites.
Lactic acid bacteria (LAB) are capable of growing at any stage of the winemaking process, even remaining dormant until conditions are suitable, spoiling wine post-bottling. Finding their way into the must on the grapes, LAB growth flourishes in the case of damaged fruit, as a result of mechanical harvesting, by birds, or through dehydration during heatwaves. Imperfect sanitation of equipment can also provide a route for unwanted LAB species including, Lactobacillus spp., Pediococcus spp., Oenococcus oeni, Pediococcus damnosus, Pediococcus parvulus, and Leuconostoc mesenteroides among others.
The negative impact of LAB contamination in the winemaking process is multi-faceted. Not only do LAB compete with the yeast for the berry sugar, reducing alcoholic fermentation, they also produce unwanted volatile acids, and biogenic amines, including histamine, cadaverine, and putrescine. These negatively impact the organoleptic qualities of wine, dramatically affecting the aroma, acidity, and taste.
LYSOVIN leverages the powerful natural antimicrobial function of Lysozyme, preventing faults during winemaking including acidification, geranium character, mousiness, and overproduction of diacetyl. When added directly to the must prior to settling, LYSOVIN stabilises the wine, maintaining low levels of biogenic amines, whilst protecting and leaving the yeast unaffected. Bioseutica’s LYSOVIN can also be used to control the onset of malolactic fermentation (MLF, or malo), reducing the production of biogenic amines. The microbiological stability of wine can also be controlled, by delaying the growth of strains of Oenococcus oeni once MLF is completed. The addition of LYSOVIN also allows stabilisation of the wine during ageing, even in high acidity wines where the efficacy of SO2 decreases dramatically.
LYSOVIN in wine
LYSOVIN is our patented solution to preventing bacterial contamination while reducing sulphite use in winemaking. Following tests by both Italian and French authorities, LYSOVIN has been approved for use in winemaking since 1995. Bioseutica has also obtained permission from the TTB (Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau) for LYSOVIN’s use in winemaking in the USA.
LYSOVIN, the trusted natural way to improve the stability, texture, aroma and shelf-life of wine.
LYSOVIN Sensory Advantages
- Protects and prevents the wine from spoilage
- Stops mousiness, acrolein/bitterness, geranium character, mannitol off-flavour, ropiness, and acidification
- Stops growth of lactic acid bacteria (LAB) in must and juice
- Preserves and protects the wine yeast
- Allows reduction, or delay to SO2 use (Sulfur dioxide, sulfites)
- Reduces production of acetic acid, and biogenic amines
- Controls the production of compounds causing organoleptic defects
- Preserves the colour intensity of the wine
- Improves the stability, texture, aroma and shelf life of wine
- Optimisation of MLF to desirable levels
- Delaying MLF, or microbiological stabilisation post-MLF
- Inhibition of MLF when blending partial, or complete MLF wines
- Production of low/no-alcohol (LNA) wines, and wine waters
- GRAS for FDA
- Certified Kosher
- Accepted by JEFCA-Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives